Followers

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Coming Out & Family Fondling


It has always been interesting to me how other people know your sexuality before you do. I wondered how family could know...but I did have one of the strangest experiences with family and since I am hoping to be published one day, I'm sure I will use it later, too good not to.

I was a naive 23 year old, not understanding that I was a lesbian or even entertained any sexual thoughts about women. I believed I was straight. Though at the time, I worked in a nursing home and hung out with 2 women mostly. Teresa, who was a nurse, and Roxanne, who was, like me, a nursing assistant. I lived and breathed for Roxanne, who was married to a creep of a guy. But of course this was not sexual, but purely emotional. Roxanne was all I could talk about. To me, we were the closest of friends.

Cut to later when I went to visit my grandmother, where my aunt was hanging out. My aunt and I had been very close. We thought of each other as the black sheep(s) of the family. My aunt had been drinking when I saw her in the basement. We talked for awhile, then I feel her hand on my knee. Believe me, I am totally creeped out by this. She follows this with touching the side of my breast. Okay, by now I am baffled. She finally whispers, "Do you like that? Does that feel good?"

My face must have been ghost-like and my heart was beating fast. Of course, I was thinking maybe she was coming out to ME. Telling me she was gay or something. Because to me, I was straight. So I say, "Ugh, no, only when a man does it...and especially NOT when my aunt does it!" So as I get up to walk upstairs, she follows me up.

"Thank God, I was afraid you were gay!" She says.

"YOU were afraid I was gay?" I ask her.

Well, I was so horrified. My grandmother took me home. I told her about this incident. She says, "Maybe she was testing you."

I said, "Testing me for what? Herpes?" It creeped me out.

Now cut to the next day. My aunt calls me. She begins to explain that she AND my grandmother were questioning whether or not I was a lesbian. My aunt states, "Well you never bring any men home and you always talk about women."

I told my aunt, "Do me a favor...if you want to know something about me, just ask. No need for fondling!"

It was about a month later when I discovered I was pregnant.

It was about 4 years later when I discovered I really was a lesbian.

Thank God!

No comments: