Followers

Friday, July 21, 2006

The Tail Fairy



Once many moons ago, I was with a ....well, technically, she was a woman! This goes back to a previous blog entry on "Spiderwoman". But this one involves Brittany, my now 17 year old daughter. Spiderwoman was quite the butch thing...short and stocky with black hair, hair which happened to be styled in a crew cut and a tail in the back. Brittany was 8 years old when we went to live with Spiderwoman. Maybe a month after we were there, Spiderwoman talked Brittany into wanting a hairstyle like hers. I was dead set against it and said no. Once while I was grocery shoppinig, Spiderwoman said, "I'll take Brittany and get her hair cut while you are shopping." I told her once again, "Okay but no crew cut or tail or both...just a regular cut." Well, when I came back, I was horrified...she'd done it. My daughter now had a crew cut and a tail. Plus I was so pissed...beyond belief. This was in 1998 when people had tails, and I've never liked it. If you want that, it's okay, you are an adult, not 8 years old.

Anyway, the inevitable happened, and about 2 months later, I left said Spiderwoman. But Brittany still had the haircut. No matter what I tried to say to her, she would not let me take her for another style. If only I could get the tail off, then at least she would just have the cut on top and it would grow out. Being a writer and always having things in my twisted mind, I came up with this story. Also, due to Brittany's disabilities and her, by nature, gullibility, I thought I could play on it. I asked Brittany this:

"Have you ever heard of the TAIL FAIRY?"

Brittany: "No mommy, I haven't. What about the TAIL FAIRY?"

"Well, the TAIL FAIRY is someone who goes around collecting children's tails from their hair, alllll over the world, paying them money for each one, sort of like the TOOTH FAIRY....only with tails. And then, you know what the TAIL FAIRY does with all those tails?"

Brittany: "No, what?"

"When the TAIL FAIRY gathers all of the tails together, she weaves them into wigs for sick children everywhere who don't have any hair."

Brittany: "Really mommy? WOW!"

"It's true...but you know, not everyone knows about the TAIL FAIRY, so don't talk about it, okay?"

Brittany: "Okay mommy. Can the TAIL FAIRY have my tail?"

"Sure! I bet she will even bring you some money for it!"

So then we cut off the tail and put it under her pillow and the TAIL FAIRY magically left $2 under her pillow. Then I heard Brittany ask my father, "Grandpa, do you know about the TAIL FAIRY?"

My dad looks at me and I smile, then he says, "No, I don't."

Brittany smiles and says, "Oh okay, Grandpa."

This story has just occurred to me when recently thinking about Brittany's childhood, as she's just called me to tell me she is looking for her first real job and learning how to drive. I loved her innocent nature...thank goodness she had it and hopefully still does.

No comments: