Followers

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Nothing Wrong With Him



This may look odd, but it's the most fascinating thing I've seen in awhile. This contraption was built by one of my clients, Harold. Every time I go to his apartment, I make it a point to use the bathroom just to stare at it! Yes, I am strange. Harold built this out of a floor lamp, put string through it and there it is. He wanted it so he could put 3 rolls on at once. The strings are put through small key rings to be able to replace the new with the old. This man is considered slow and technically is developmentally disabled, but what I find fascinating is that he is always thinking of better more convenient ways of doing things. He rigs things to make life a little easier for himself. This is why I love what I do...these people have so much to offer if we could all take the time to see it. In my 10+ years of doing this, they've taught me more than I could have taught them. What a joy.

2 comments:

Austin of Sundrip said...

I use to do in home care for adults with Autism and Schizophrenia. i just said the other day that it is a very rewarding job. Like you, I've had a lot of good experiences working with people that are considered to be slow but have a good grasp on what works well and what does not.

Austin of Sundrip Journals

JulieB said...

yes that's true, I've worked with both autistic(my daughter also has this) and schizophrenics and they all have things to offer you just can't imagine.