Followers

Saturday, June 24, 2006

AWWOL(Absolutely Wonderful World of Lesbians)

Or "Living Life In The Pack"

I think about this today as the 4th of July nears. I am now a small part of this infamous pack of Lesbians. Up until now, I've lived my life as a lesbian in low profile. Being in the midwest, and not in New York City or Houston...you just don't see the nightclubs or fast lesbian nightlife. How I've always wanted to play a part....have a bunch of lesbian friends I hang with. As I recall, there was another time I was in a small pack. In Davenport, Iowa....the Quad Cities, as it's known. It was my first introduction to "the pack". It was amazing to me to see it....a group of lesbians, all friends, but also, all had at one time, dated each other. Of course, these people were into drugs, many of them....and that's just not my thing. There was a really butch girl, Donita, who was interested in me...but I was not interested. She was trashy and smelled bad...as trash does. I, of course, liked a girl named Sonja...who played softball. How I adored her. She was short, had short hair, was in between being butch and just a little spark of being "girly". But she was with another girl, who was totally wrong for her...hit her and treated her like crap. But it never was to be, they always like the bad girls.

Since I've met Cindy, I've realized she is a small part of a lesbian pack. Her ex gf is a big part of the pack. Cindy's ex and her are really good friends still, which is a rare thing. Well, since I am not a part of the pack originally, I was new and fresh meat last year. One of the couples in the pack throw a 4th of July party at their house in the country. Interestingly enough, one woman of said couple does it to celebrate and ex gf's birthday...who happens to be Cindy's ex's sister. So last year, I made a couple of cheesecakes(the real kind) and went along as Cindy's gf to this gathering lesbianville. Oh my God! I have never seen that many lesbians in one area. It was culture shock for me. The big joke is there are so many of them named Julie....and here I am, another one. I felt like playing "Romper Room", "I see that butch girl and that femme girl, oh and I see another butch girl, and another..." It was a smorgasboard of girls who like flannel and tools. I have to say to my girl's credit, she's never been an active part of the pack...she has not dated anyone in the pack, except for her ex. Her ex, however....she's a whole pack in herself! But she is a great person and I love her for being herself. I remember a conversation with one of the butch girls...there was probably 5 or 6 of us standing around. Butch girl is talking about her exhusband, how he cheated on her, trying to take her money or kids or something(I tuned out), then Cindy's ex talked about her exhusband and what a creep his is(and he is)....I chimed in to say...."Well, I was never married, I was just...slutty." Butch girl choked on her drink and Cindy's ex gave me a hug. Aren't I the life of the party?

The part went on forever...many of us were out in the yard playing croquet. It was hilarious watching the drunk girls trying to play. Another girl stumbles onto the playing field with her drink...."Is it my turn? I had to go get some more TEKAYLA.." she says drunkenly. I thought we would all die laughing....

I've seen butch girl over at cindy's ex's house....back in January for a superbowl party. She says to me, "What? No cheesecake today?" Guess there are worse things I could be known for!
So, the party is coming up...the weekend after the 4th, and I've been asked to make the cheesecake again. I look forward to see the vast array of women who love women....once again, I find myself a small part of THE PACK.

Except I'm only ever with THE ONE. That makes it all worthwhile.

2 comments:

KMae said...

Julie, how great - sounds very fun. I never liked Doris' past girlfriends so we do NOT hang out with them, thank GOD!

JulieB said...

well, this is the first time it's ever happened...it still seems very strange to me, as it's been 5 or 6 years since they've been together. I didn't think I'd like it too much in the beginning but I see the friendship there and not much else. I wouldn't want to hang around my ex gfs either...there is a reason we call them EX! LOL