Followers

Monday, June 05, 2006

Regulations of Being American


I love living in America. I wouldn't live anywhere else and granted, I've only been to 2 other countries, France and Canada, but there is so much beauty to America and good things, there's no where else I'd rather be. That being said however, I have learned that good things come with a price. Price is one thing, but stupidity is quite another.

The government in America leaves alot to be desired. The more I learn, the more disgusted I am. I work with mentally disabled adults, with various disabilities ranging from autism to Down's Syndrome. Most of them are learning to live on their own, have a job in the community and be a productive part of society. All of them get a monthly check from Social Security and sometime SSI. I've been through the SSI part as my daughter was on that and probably still is. I have a client now who works through the sheltered workshop within the agency I work for a couple days a week and also works at Mcdonalds, whenever they decide to give him some hours. These hours are few and far between and only 4 hours at a time. So, clearly, it is not a stable thing. SSI sent him several letters stating they were cutting him off completely as he made too much money and was no longer eligible. This went on for a couple month. Then suddenly, he gets another letter saying HE OWES THEM the overpayment because, gee, he made SO much money they shouldn't have paid him anything. WHAT?! That's right, no matter what, it's your fault they made the mistake and you must pay them back. These are people can never and will never make much money due to their disabilities. It makes me so angry...whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? We all know the government will never do that and penalizes the very people it proposes to protect, by keeping them running around in a circle, never learning to get ahead.

Gee, and then I hear there are FLAG RULES. There are flag regulations you must follow to proudly hang your American Flag. I did not know this. There has to be a light above it at all times and can only hang so many feet from the ground. What? This seems crazy to me....Why must there be rules for all these things? There are no rules when an illegal alien burns the flag. Don't get me started on them....

And isn't funny how we, as gay Americans are expected to pay our taxes, yet...have no other rights as American citizens?

Oh yes, I'm proud to be an American....but...

1 comment:

KMae said...

UH-HUH.
Yep.