Followers

Friday, June 16, 2006

The Way The Dixie's Do It


Going along with my rant and ramblings about all things so-called AMERICAN...I love country music, it's what I was brought up with. By country music, I mean authentic country, not the BS that is no different than what I've seen on Mtv or now VH1. There is the notion that country music lovers are so wholesome and not as bigoted as much of the world. In some ways, they are worse because they live under this magical pretense.

I have loved the Dixie Chicks from the beginning and my daughter loves them, even more. When things happened 2 years ago and the lead singer Natalie Maines made her comment about "being ashamed" of the President(I can't bring myself to type his name on my blog)...I applauded her, not even because I agreed with her, but for her right to say it. I especially loved it when she fought back and stood her ground, sporting that infamous T-shirt telling a certain so-called country singer, F-U-T-K. I guess fans are fickle....especially country, no matter how they say how loyal they are. What a load of crap. Even country radio banned them and had one of those cd bashing sessions, just like when disco was suddenly uncool. How awful is it that someone cannot speak their mind and people respond like that. Supposedly, Americans are "free" to say whatever they will. Now to hear there were death threats...are you kidding me? It's kind of like, 'sure you are free to speak your mind, but if you don't think like us, then you are garbage.'

And you know what? I bought their new cd and it is very powerful, smart and in your face. How I love that. Even if you are not a fan of country....it doesn't matter, it's just plain good music...regardless. And you know what else? I just bought tickets to see them in concert. I believe in what they have to say and hope they have new fans and the loyal ones will always win out. To me, there is nothing more patriotic than exercising your right to say what you want and then no matter who comes down on you, having the kahonas to stand your ground, never waivering....

That's what America should be about....

Shameless plugging:

If you haven't listened, give it a try

www.dixiechicks.com

Taking The Long Way
Dixie Chicks

2 comments:

KMae said...

They really are cool, aren't they!
And so much beauty with all that brainpower!
Love 'em!

JulieB said...

They are awesome and I can't wait to see them!