Followers

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Poem For Mother's Day

In honor of Mother's Day, I present this poem I wrote a few years back after I saw my mother out on the street. It's now been 17 years since I've seen or talked to her. Sometimes, it's a good thing....


Passersby
I saw you walking out on the street today,
Like you hadn’t a care in the world,
Making conversation with someone you know;
Strange,
You seemed to have so much to say,
And I had to wonder
If you ever wonder about me.
I saw you walking out on the street today;
Just a passerby I seem to be,
As you walk on past,
Never taking a second glance at me,
Or even a first,
I wonder what is in your mind
As your feet carry you away.
Strangers on the street,
Just passing by on the way to somewhere else;
No recognition, nothing familiar,
No one knows your name,
Just passersby to each other--
But
I once called you mother.
1997

2 comments:

KMae said...

MY GOD..
I am furious for you.
She shouldn't be that way.

The Scarlet Tree said...

lovely poem. Very heart wrenching.